Back in November 2013, we posted an article on this website about why emails remained a highly successful marketing tool, in spite of many changes in the online environment and user habits. Fast forward to today and our arguments still hold very true!

email marketing is the best MarketingProfs recently ran an excellent analysis - The Top Lead Generation Tactics and Metrics – based on a worldwide survey of 300 marketing professionals carried out by Ascend2. This is well worth a read.

When asked what were the most effective online tactics for lead generation, the largest proportion of responses (48%) were in favour of email marketing, with only 18% claiming that they found it the most difficult to handle. This compared with social media marketing’s ratings of 26% for effectiveness and 36% for difficulty.

In our original article, we maintained that while social media marketing had great merits in communicating to audiences on a wide and international scale, it might not be the right strategy for every business. We also explained that: “Equally, even if organisations opt for sharing information and experiences on a global scale through social media channels, a balanced marketing strategy will normally require elements that are more focused on specific targets. Email marketing is exceptionally good at this.”

Today, as we did then, we would highlight major benefits of email marketing as:

  • Messages can be designed for broad industry and regional categories or limited niche markets
  • Emails can be tailored and/or personalised for audiences selected for their status as existing customer or prospect relationships, specified interests, identified postcodes etc.
  • Different text, images, subject lines and timings can be tested with different database segments to establish optimum formats and content
  • Links can be created to websites, specific landing pages and social media channels
  • Outcomes  and response levels can be accurately measured and adjustments made to future mailings
  • If the database used is cleansed, up to date and made up of recipients that have opted in to receiving the relevant information, then the chances are that positive ROI will follow.

The 2013 Marketing Sherpa Benchmark Report came up with this very perceptive comment: “As has been discussed numerous times in MarketingSherpa articles, blog posts, Special Reports and Benchmark Reports, email is a venerable tactic that is often dismissed as being too rudimentary for today’s focus on real-time information. Yet email continues to endure, and even thrive, under such scrutiny, continually proving its worth through better delivery practices, more advanced design, and strategic integration with other channels.”

That same report had nearly 60% of the marketers believing that mobile smartphones and tablets would affect their email marketing programme over the next 12-month period. Possibly the other 40% were wondering what hit them a few months later!

BBI online marketing agency UK

Smart Insights Email Marketing Statistics 2015 shows that nearly half emails are being opened on smartphones or tablets, indicating an increase of 500% in the four years from 2011 to 2014. This highlights the importance of ensuring marketing emails are responsively designed for mobiles and desktops alike, for in spite of the stunning increase in mobile usage for picking up marketing messages, desktops are still widely used during the working day and are therefore particularly important for B2B communications.

We strongly believe in the value of emails in marketing communications, which is why some business professionals who have been reading this article will have done so because of an email delivered by us to their desktops or mobiles!